Who are the Byron Residents’ Group?
We are a group of locals who want to contribute to shaping of how Byron Bay develops into the future.
We have formed as a response to decisions being made about planning for the town that do not reflect the will of the community and are contrary to democratic processes —in particular, the proposed West Byron development and the engineering of our beaches with rock walls.
If Byron becomes just like any other overdeveloped tourist town then people will stop coming and business will suffer. We have kept out topless bars, fast food chains and Club Med because they didn’t fit with the way we want to live and visitors don’t want that either. Our strongest attraction is our point of difference from many other over-cooked coastal towns
What are we about?
We believe that Byron Bay is still unique among NSW’s coastal towns and that its character is what brings people here. If that essential small-town, nature-focussed, relaxed, community feel goes and is replaced by an over-developed crowded mess then everyone loses – visitors, business operators and residents.
Byron Bay is full of creative and talented people. Let’s work to create a future for Byron Bay so that it shines as a beacon for harmony, sustainability and beauty.
Join us to advocate for innovative, original, creative and sustainable improvement to our town. Our vision is to:
- create and maintain a respectful and safe environment that reflects the needs and desires of our community for the greater good;
- provide a forum for residents’ views on matters of concern that affect the community at large or where they live;
- communicate our wishes and desires to all levels of government as necessary;
- protect and preserve our significant biodiversity;
- ensure a proper balance between residential and commercial interests, in keeping with and enriching the unique character and flavour of Byron Bay, and
- support community development and projects that will preserve, protect and enhance the value and lifestyle of our region.